Friday, November 18, 2011

Nope, Can't Answer This!



Really, this is impossible to answer! The one and only happiest moment of my life? I can't say. How can I isolate one moment without taking away from the others? Plus, the moments that really make me happy are small, often fleeting, unnoticeable to a third party. For example, you might expect me to say that the moment I married my husband was the happiest moment of my life. Well, in that moment, I was actually a little nervous that the person who was going to be handing out the ceremonial sweets after we signed the marriage docs would forget to do so. I was also aware of 200 people in the room and a cell phone going off. I enjoyed the day, don't get me wrong, and truly felt the love and support of people who love and support me and my family. But does that beat the exhilaration of finally delivering my first born child 36 hours after my water broke? And can I say that that tops delivering her brother two and a half years later?

Those are happy moments but the moments I actually take in that make my toes curl, my lips part in a full-on smile are the times when the kids are playing nicely, quietly in our living room and my feet are warm because I'm wearing my favourite wool socks, my husband is cooking one of my favourite meals and I know that I am doing work that I love. Other moments like that are like last night at yin class when I held pigeon pose and felt my hips open up as my head surrendered and found its way gently to my mat, my hands outstretched and cooling on the floor of the studio, every cell of my body taking in the chants playing in the background. In those moments I feel like I am in love in a way that I couldn't be with any one person.

Sometimes all it takes for me to feel that way is a nice hot, undisturbed, shower.

I may have evaded the actual prompt here but there is no way I could have answered that. My world doesn't work that way. I don't really know if anyone's does.

No comments:

Post a Comment