Friday, August 26, 2011

What Comes Next?

I have REALLY enjoyed my summer. It has been the first summer in years that I have felt so productive and yet satisfied with the fun factor in my life. It's also the first time in my mommy-hood that I feel a little more independent. It's easy for me to leave the kids in the evening with my husband and go to yoga, or out with a friend. My husband and I have even enjoyed several child-free outings this summer thanks to family members and a trusty babysitter. We still prefer being the ones to tuck our kids in at night, and he and I try not to plan too many evenings apart from each other; I think that is a good thing.

This summer also saw the birth of my latest blog Let ME Out!! Remembering and Releasing Your Creative Self. This blog is a labour of love and comes from a place of creativity and passion. Behind the scenes, this blog keeps me busy and excited; I am researching topics such as self-publishing and e-books. It's taking me to a whole new world. My brain cells are being stretched in every direction, that's for sure! I am also developing ideas for sharing my work in more connected spaces such as workshops and speaking venues.

Through my blogging and journalling these past couple months, I have realized that there are other areas of my life which need some attention. Specifically, I need to get this body of mine ready for a busy, productive, creative and fulfilling journey ahead. I bought a membership to a nearby yoga studio and have made space in my calendar for some yin, flow and hatha! I've also carved out time for cardio and weight training which is something I used to enjoy - a healthy "high" for me that I am so eager to let back in my life!

I am also making physical changes to my space - my studio! This studio has been 15 years in the making. Ever since I was in high school I dreamt of a space in my own home that would exist solely for the purpose of my creative pleasures. And here I am, plunking away at these keys in the perfect space. Well, it's almost perfect. Starting next week there will be a new coat of paint on these walls, updated furniture, organized storage, blingy decor and a cozy reading nook. I have had fun spending time with a friend who has an incredible amount of creativity in this area - and who is starting her own design business based on our chats over the past several months! We have shopped for fabric and had many texting frenzies over lamps, stools, rugs and colours. I am so thankful to the Universe who keeps throwing these wonderful people my way!

If this is the Summer of the Butterfly, then what will the fall be? This question has been tickling my brain for the past week or so. I have mini-moments of that yucky feeling of something great coming to a close but then consciously remind myself that the changes I am making now are just the beginning. I still have quite a journey ahead. I am going to continue enjoying my career transition - the challenges and the triumphs. The fall always signifies getting back into routine which really is not a bad thing when I'm scheduling in exercise and plans with loved ones.

I still don't know what to call this next phase. I actually feel like it's going to be an extension of the butterfly phase. The fall of the butterfly? Ouch. That sounds painful. Too much like a demise! Plus, I think my whole life is going to resemble the existence of this winged creature. I'll come up with something. Or not. Either way - I'm ready...to fly! (So cool - I had written the words "I'm ready" and before I could punctuate it, my cousin responded to my text asking "What happens after the summer of the butterfly?" Her brilliant answer: You fly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment