Friday, July 29, 2011

The Summer Of The Butterfly

I've dubbed this summer The Summer of the Butterfly, because it seems that, for me and other people close to me, this is a summer of transition and major life changes. The Universe seems to be guiding so many of us into a phase of change.

I've always had an infatuation with butterflies - they are dainty and beautiful and on the surface it looks like their sole purpose on this earth is to just look pretty and flit about. Yes, being a butterfly doesn't seem like hard work at all.

Can you imagine, though, what it is like wrapped up in darkness for weeks on end, shedding your skin, filling up with air and undergoing the bizarre process that God dreamed up for this little creature? Doesn't sound easy to me. Just like it's not easy for a human being to shed layers of emotions embedded in his/her cells, to overcome physical and mental obstacles and to step forward into a new space with confidence and grace.

I'm not quite sure where I am in this process. I don't know if I've been incubating for weeks or for years. I don't know how long till I attain true butterfly status...I don't even know if there is such a thing for us on this planet. But wow, it's so much better to live with your sights set outside the cocoon than to dwell on the darkness. What's that saying about reaching for the sky? Even if you don't succeed, you'll land among the stars. I like that. That sounds like a good place to be.

For such a tiny creature, the butterfly's symbol is enormous in my life.

Thanks for reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment