Friday, November 18, 2011

A Better Time To Write About Crushes

Maybe you won't notice that today is not November 17 or that on November 17 I did not publish a post. My morning yesterday was eaten up by a post called Most Of The Time I'm Pretty Neurotic that I wrote for my other blog. It was fun to write but you can imagine how delving into my neuroses would take up all of my writing time. I thought I could steal away in the afternoon for a quick post here but between feeding two kids lunch (never a fun task), my daughter's ballet class, making dinner and seeing a speech therapy client my entire afternoon was spoken for. After dinner I made a run for my favourite yoga class: stretchy, yummy yin. Got home at 9:30 pm, chatted with the hubby and then said in my sleepy state, "I'm going to go blog now."

My husband looked at me with half opened eyes (did I mention my son was up a lot the night before?) and asked incredulously, "You're going to blog at 10 pm?" I took a second to consider the time of night, my uber relaxed muscles and mind, and most importantly the topic for the day and decided it could wait until this morning. And here it is.



Seriously, and I'm not just using this as a scapegoat, but if I were to list all of my crushes we'd be sitting here for a long time. I'd have to pull out my journals from the time I was like 11 and keep going until I met my husband when I was 19. I'd say between that time there were two "crushes" that were more than just dreamy adoration but then since they don't qualify as crushes they don't need to be mentioned here. (Whew!)

I will, however, talk about the one life-long crush I have had and that is for none other than my tall, dark and handsome...Will Smith. As a pre-teen, I giggled at his cute antics as The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and stared at the movie screen wide-eyed as a young adult. Just the other day I seriously pondered putting his picture up in my studio. I decided against that, by the way. The idea of my husband putting a poster up of his celebrity crush in his office (last I heard it was Alyssa Milano...guess it's been awhile since I asked him) made me feel uneasy. I figure I'd return him the courtesy of keeping my never-gonna-happen crush a little more discreet.

What draws me to real-life Will is his self-assuredness, his down-to-earthness, his humour, his connection to God (see, this goes deeper than you thought, right?!) and the way he looks at me from across the room when he thinks no one else is watching. But I see him. Out of the corner of my eye, I see his gaze follow me as I make my way over to the bar to order a...water...and he is impressed with my...healthy habits. My heart beats faster, my breath quickens as he unwraps his long legs and pushes himself gracefully up off the leather armchair, his eyes never leaving me. I silently command myself to look innocently at my freshly-manicured fingers and will them to not drop the water I am holding. I feel his presence before he places his hand on my left shoulder blade, gently but confidently.

"Excuse me, Miss."

Oh, my, excuse ME! Sorry, where did that come from? *blush* OK, that's not the kind of writing I was supposed to be doing. *clears throat* So anyway, teensy crush on Will Smith that has lasted just over 20 years. Looking forward to growing old with him.

1 comment: