Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Absolutely Cannot Do This!!

NaBloPoMo's Prompt for Thursday November 3: Can you listen to music and write? What song did you hear today?

No, no, no. I absolutely cannot listen to music and write. I get way too lost in the music. Practically every song I have ever heard is etched in my memory and associated with a person, place, or era in my life and it overpowers the words that are trying to formulate in my brain. I can only hear the lyrics of the song! You know, I've never tried writing to instrumental music, but I have a feeling it would distract me just the same. I like absolute quiet when I write.

On the first Thursday of every month I host a writing group in the back room of a fairly quiet restaurant. The first thing I do when I enter the restaurant is remind the hostess that we would like the music turned off in the back room for the duration of our meeting time.

I have nothing against music; I can do everything else with a soundtrack, no problem. In fact, I think music makes every chore more enticing. But for writing I need the room as silent as possible, with just the hum of my laptop for company.

No comments:

Post a Comment